One-on-One Business Counseling
Our Business Services Representatives (BSRs) can work one-on-one with your business to identify challenges and solutions-at to help grow your business at no cost to you. BSRs will help conduct a comprehensive Business Needs Assessment. After the assessment is completed, the AJCC staff can guide you through next steps to receive services that your business may need.
Business Development and Economic Landscape Analysis
Our AJCC staff can engage your business in strategic planning focused on workforce investment, business growth, and economic development. These activities include but are not limited to: securing information on industry trends, sponsoring employer forums, providing corporate economic development planning information, partnering to identify workforce challenges, and developing ways to address these challenges.
Tax Credits & Incentives
There are many tax credits and hiring incentives available to help your business grow. Our Business Services Representatives can help your business save money.
Business Resiliency Toolkit
WDACS remains committed to assisting businesses and employers impacted by the pandemic. We’ve partnered with other County departments and community stakeholders to provide vital recovery resources and recommendations for long-term recovery and sustainability.
Employee Development & Hiring Support
Specialized Training Programs for Your Staff
Are you looking to invest in your staff? Our AJCCs can engage your business in strategic planning focused on workforce investment to drive business growth and development. We can assist in the development of low or no cost customized training programs to build a pipeline of qualified workers to meet all your hiring needs. Save your business money and upskill your workforce by working with LA County’s AJCCs.
- Coordinating an On-the-Job Training program, in which the business is reimbursed for a percentage of a new employee’s wage rate while the employer trains them
- Coordinating or designing an apprenticeship program
- Promoting an internship program
- Coordinating a paid or unpaid work experience program
- Providing publicly funded customized training assistance
- Connecting a business to an Employment Training Panel to upskill current workforce
- Detailed information available https://www.selacowdb.com/development/funded-employee-training
- Employee retention/post placement program such as pre-employment testing, background checks, assistance in completing the I-9 paperwork, providing employers with job and task analysis services, absenteeism analysis.
Recruitment Activities & Support Services
AJCC staff can provide you with customized screening and referral of qualified job seekers to meet your workforce investment needs.
- Conducting a resumé search to find job seekers’ resumés that match an employer’s job requirements and providing those resumés to the employer
- Coordinating a focused recruitment campaign for a new business venture or a facility needing a large number of specialized workers
- Pre-screening candidates via pre-employment testing or background checks
- Distributing job postings to the AJCC network to reach more potential candidates
- Coordinating a job fair for open positions
- Assisting with new hire paperwork
- Providing access to untapped labor pools, such as youth and veterans
- Providing employers with job and task analysis services, absenteeism analysis
- Facilitating job shadowing for interested candidates
Find Talent to Hire
Your local AJCC can provide access to CalJOBS, California’s online resource to help job seekers and employers navigate the state’s workforce services. The enhanced system allows users to find qualified candidates for employment. AJCC staff can assist you with registering as an employer in CalJOBS, post job openings, browse résumés, keep their employee search organized, or expand their search to find good candidates for their companies.
Labor Market Information
To find out specific information about national, state, or your local business area labor market information, connect with your local AJCC staff by emailing email@example.com. Staff can help you utilize the labor market information to create a business plan for expansion, relocation, or determine future hiring and training needs or refer you to a labor market information consultant who can prepare detailed occupational labor market information.
AVAILABLE DATA INCLUDES:
- Economy Overview Reports
- Regional Comparison Reports
- Population Demographics Reports
- Regional Comparisons by Industry
- Regional Comparisons by Occupation
- Industry Snapshot Reports
- Compare Industries Reports
- Industry Diversity Snapshots
- Competitive Wage Reports
Help with Compliance with Employment Laws
Managing your business is already hard work. Researching information on ways to stay compliant on various employment laws can be time-consuming. The AJCC staff can provide or facilitate a variety of informational seminars for your businesses and staff.
- Disability Insurance
- Unemployment Insurance
- Employment Law: Health & Safety, Wages, Work Hours, Work Permits, Workers Comp, Fair Chance Act
- Employment Taxes
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Career Pathway Programs: job shadowing, work experience sites, mentoring, speaking engagements, and employer focus groups.
Click here to learn more about different placement and on the job training programs we are working on with various organizations
Layoff Aversion & Rapid Response
If your business is facing the possibility of layoffs or closure, the LA County AJCCs can provide Rapid Response services to help minimize the impacts on affected employees and work with your business to identify preventative measures.
Rapid Response to Layoff or Closure
AJCC staff can provide rapid response activities in the case of a permanent closure or mass layoff at a plant, facility or enterprise, or a natural or other disaster that resulted in mass job dislocation in order to assist dislocated workers in obtaining reemployment as soon as possible.
Rapid response activities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing on-site contact with employers and employee representatives
- Providing information and access to available employment and training activities
- Providing an on-site presentation to employees on when to file for, how to file for, and who qualifies for Unemployment Insurance
- Assisting in establishing a labor-management committee
- Assessing the employment and training needs of dislocated workers, and assisting to obtain services to meet such needs
- Providing emergency assistance adapted to the closure, layoff, or disaster
- Assistance to the local community in developing a coordinated response and in obtaining access to state economic development assistance.
Layoff Aversion Activities
Work with the AJCC staff to access layoff aversion services designed to prevent or minimize unemployment.
These strategies include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ongoing engagement and partnership-building activities with local businesses and community to avert lay-offs
- Assistance in reduction-in-force management
- Fund feasibility studies to determine if the company’s operations might be sustained through a buyout or other means
- Develop and/or manage incumbent worker programs via connecting companies to state Short-Time Compensation or other programs to prevent layoffs
- Quickly re-employ dislocated workers
- Business loans for employee skill upgrading, along with other available government and local resources
- Establish linkages at the federal, state, and local levels, including the Department of Commerce, state and local resources available for business retention and expansion
- Partner or contract with business-focused organizations to assess risks to companies and how those risks can be ameliorated
- Analyses of affected company’s suppliers to assess their risks and vulnerabilities
- Connect businesses and workers to short-term, on-the-job, or customized training programs, and/or apprenticeships before or after layoffs to facilitate rapid re-employment
There are more than 20 AJCC offices in LA County. Each has a knowledgeable staff to guide and give you important tools.